Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Curried Pumpkin-Apple Soup

My husband is an excellent cook...I'm very lucky! Last weekend, he bought two sugar pumpkins because they were on sale. He excitedly told me that he planned to roast them and make soup out of them. The weekend came and went and all he was able to get to was the roasting part...the poor guys works full time, is in grad school, and is doing all the construction on our home, so I wasn't upset that I had all this pumpkin and no idea what to do with it. Time to get creative!

After reading about how to prepare fresh pumpkin, I came up with a game plan: make a pumpkin soup and add flavors that *hopefully* go well with it. The end result was a fabulous, comforting soup that we both couldn't get enough of! Good thing, because I made a double batch and still had left over pumpkin, so I made Amy's Pumpkin Ice Cream recipe...yum! (If you use fresh pumpkin for this, strain it over two nights).

Oh yeah - at the New England Celiac Conference this past Saturday, pumpkin made a short list of "super foods" that the two nutritionists talked about being sure to add to your diet if you are gluten free. Nice! Pumpkins dishes are also the theme for this month's Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten Free recipe round up which will be hosted by Heather at Life, Gluten Free. Not sure yet if this will be my entry...
Ingredients:
  • 4 T butter (or oil)
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 C pumpkin (canned would work, too)
  • 1 apple, diced
  • 1 T salt
  • 1 T honey (or 2 t agave)
  • 1/4 t nutmeg
  • 1 T curry powder (make sure it is gluten free!)
  • 1/2 t ground pepper
  • 3 C chicken broth
  • 1/2 C milk (any kind that you can tolerate)
Directions
  1. Heat the butter or oil in your soup pot or dutch oven.
  2. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the pumpkin, apple, salt, honey, nutmeg, and pepper and stir.
  4. Add the chicken broth 1 C at a time and stir well in between additions.
  5. Use an immersion or stick blender to make the soup real creamy and smooth.
  6. Add milk and stir to incorporate.

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I can't believe you made my ice cream with fresh pumpkin, no less! I am sure you are right about straining the pumpkin longer if it's fresh - all of that water would make a hard ice cream.

    I have 2 pumpkins sitting on my counter because I was worried I wouldn't be able to find any canned pumpkin. I found the canned so now I need to use the fresh...I came here to get the apple crisp recipe but I think I might have to come back and try your pumpkin soup, too.

    Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete