Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Millet Banana Bread

Yep, you guessed it! Another recipe from Nicolette Dumke's latest cookbook. I can't help myself. I'm enjoying experimenting...and the results! My husband and I both loved this one...I have to confess, I haven't shared much of it with him. It's just too good!

Millet Banana Bread (free of the top 8 allergens, gluten, corn, and refined sugar)

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 C millet flour
  • 1 C tapioca starch
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 2 t baking soda + 1/2 t unbuffered vitamin C powder (or 2 1/2 t baking powder)
  • 1 t cinnamon or 1/2 t ground cloves
  • 1/2 c chopped nuts (optional)
  • 1 3/4 C mashed ripe bananas (about 3 1/2 bananas)
  • 1/4 C oil
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Oil and flour a loaf pan.
  2. Stir together flours, salt, baking soda + vitamin C powder (or baking powder), spice, and nuts (if using) in a large bowl.
  3. Combine the mashed bananas and oil and stir them into the dry ingredients until they are completely mixed in, but be careful not to over mix (the batter will be stiff). Put the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until the bread is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove it from the pan to cool completely. Makes one loaf.
Notes:
  • I did not have millet flour on hand so I ground my own. Nicolette offers a caution about this - if you are grinding your own, you'll want to adjust the liquid. I added more banana and a bit more oil, but next time I might add a couple T of milk, too. Nicolette also says that she has found that even different brands of the same product can yield different results, so she provides where to find the brands that she uses.
  • The cookbook also provides recipes for banana bread using spelt, barley, or amaranth.
  • I was sent a free copy of this cookbook by Nicolette to review.

1 comment:

  1. The bread sounds great. I recently bought some millet to grind. I find with sorghum and rice that it makes a difference if I use it right after milling versus putting it in a container and using it another day. With time it settles and I get more per cup.

    ReplyDelete