Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Chili with Roasted Peppers

Chili is a cool-weather staple around here. It's one of those great meals that can be adapted many different ways to suit tastes and dietary restrictions. It can also give you a hand cleaning out your pantry! This version is made with roasted hot peppers (not too hot for me - I make extra peppers for my husband to sprinkle on top b/c he likes his mouth to be on fire...). Roasting the peppers takes their flavor to a different depth in such a wonderful way and tempers the heat a bit.

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 hot peppers (jalapenos are fine; use more or less depending on your taste)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 lb. ground meat (I use turkey)
  • 1 C juicer pulp (optional - it's a good way to use it up!)
  • 2 T chili powder
  • 2 T cumin
  • dash red pepper flakes
  • 1 T salt
  • 2 t pepper
  • 1/4 C ground flax seeds (optional)
  • 2 bell peppers, diced
  • 1 can black beans (or whatever you have on hand - I used kidney this time)
  • 1 can corn (optional)
  • 4 tomatoes, diced or 2 C canned tomatoes
Directions:
  1. Place whole hot peppers on a baking sheet covered in foil. Roast at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until they get char spots on them and blister, like in the picture above. Once cool, split a part and remove the stem and seeds (unless you like more heat). Dice and set aside.
  2. While the peppers are roasting, place heat olive oil in a soup pot or dutch oven. Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
  3. Add ground meat to the pot. Allow it to begin to brown, using your stirring spoon to separate it. Cook for about 5-7 minutes. If you are using juicer pulp, add it in.
  4. Add chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, ground flax seed, salt and pepper to the meat and mix around.
  5. Add the bell peppers and cook for 4-5 minutes.
  6. Add the beans, corn, and tomatoes and stir to combine.
  7. Simmer for 10-15 minutes to allow all the flavors to meld. Adjust salt and pepper if needed.
Notes:
  • I like to top mine with yogurt - whichever kind I've got. My favorite is Greek or coconut.

1 comment:

  1. this chili looks great, Kim! What a great idea to use the pulp from the juicer & add some fiber - I've always wondered what I could do with that! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll have to check out your quinoa chocolate chip cookies next!

    ReplyDelete