Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Allergen Free Baking: Baked treats for all occasions

I was recently sent a copy of the book Allergen Free Baking: Baked treats for all occasions by Jill Robbins to review. I liked it, so I thought I would pass it on to you.

As I was giving it a once over, I noticed a quote on the back cover from the Seacoast Food Allergy Group, which I have become involved with. Upon further investigation, I realized that this book is published in my home state - New Hampshire - and it was written by the same woman who developed Gaks Snacks, now called Home Free Treats (Jill and her treats were recently featured on Fox News Boston). The headquarters is right in Windham, NH, which is only about 40 minutes from me - I have an aunt and good friends that live there. Ok, ok, enough with my hometown pride...

Allergen Free Baking is geared towards parents. It is organized into sections to make life raising food allergic kids easier. As you peruse the cookbook, it is obvious that a mother who has been in your shoes is talking to you. There are recipe ideas for something to bring to morning play group, play dates, school snacks, birthday parties, various holidays, and athletic events. From the introduction: "Most of the recipes in this book use fruit and/or fruit juice, many use at least some whole grain, and none contain peanuts, tree nuts, egg, wheat, dairy, cholesterol, or trans fat. Soy lecithin is the only soy ingredient."

Robbins also includes a helpful key of grains, gluten, and sugar. For example "GF" indicates that the recipe can be prepared gluten free (suggestions are made), "Co" indicates that the recipe contains corn, and "Oa" denotes oats.

Although there are no pictures in the cookbook (except for the adorable drawings done by a young child), the pages are filled with delicious, tempting treats. Robbins shares ideas for breakfast, quick breads, bars/brownies, cookies, cakes, pies, frostings, and more. When it fits in my rotation diet schedule, the first recipe I'll be trying is the Upside-Down Pear Gingerbread. My mouth is watering already!

No comments:

Post a Comment