Thursday, October 8, 2009

Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies - free from the top 8 allergens, corn, refined sugar, and gluten!

If you haven't read my interview with allergy author, Nicolette Dumke, you might want to (click here for part 1 and here for part 2). Nicolette is an incredible person who is brilliantly coping with multiple food allergies, and has graciously chronicled all she has learned in her series of books. She sent me a copy of her latest book I Love Dessert but NOT Sugar, Wheat, Milk, Gluten, Corn, Soy, Unhealthy Fat... to review. I have been baking my way through it to see how her allergy-friendly versions of yummy deserts match up. Click here to see Traditional Apple Cobbler with Amaranth Topping.

I was attracted to this recipe for Quinoa Chocolate Chip Cookies because I know that quinoa is considered somewhat of a super food, especially for those of us on the gluten free diet. Quinoa brings many essential nutrients to the party that might otherwise be lacking in the traditional gluten free diet. Also, I wanted to further experiment with the use of apple juice concentrate as a sweetener in baking.

My husband and I were both pleasantly surprised these cookies. They have a wonderful texture, and the use of concentrated apple juice helps to mask the flavor of the quinoa in a way that really works! The chocolate chips bring it all together. I'm not saying that they taste just like regular chocolate chip cookies - they definitely taste healthier, but in a wonderful way. Otherwise, my husband would not have finished them all on me!

Ingredients (recipe is being reprinted with author's permission)
  • 3 C quinoa flour
  • 1 C tapioca starch
  • 1 1/2 t baking soda + 3/8 t unbuffered vitamin C powder (or just use baking powder)
  • 2 C apple juice concentrate
  • 1/2 C oil
  • 1 1/4 C chocolate or carob chips (optional)
Directions
  1. Boil the apple juice down to 1 3/8 C in volume and allow it to coll to room temperature or cooler. If you are in a hurry, put it in the refrigerator to cool.
  2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa flour, tapioca starch, baking soda + vitamin C (or baking powder). In a separate bowl or cup, stir together the juice and oil. Immediately stir them into the dry ingredients until they are just mixed in. Fold in the chocolate or carob chips. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten them to about 1/4 inch thickness with your fingers held together. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cookies are slightly browned. Makes about 5 dozen.
This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Mondays along with lots of other delicious guilt-free recipes. This week, Amy is giving away Le Creuset mini gratin dishes!

9 comments:

  1. I bought some quinoa a while back, but just haven't gotten to use it yet. When you said cookie--you had me! :)

    My question is this: Can I make flour out of my quinoa in my NutriMill--or do I have to buy quinoa flour? Where would I find tapioca starch--or is there a sub?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some quinoa flour that is waiting for inspiration! I will give these a try. My daughter has developed a taste for what she calls "wholesome tasting junk food". This might be a great match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alea, "Wholesome junk food" - I like that! Phoebe, according to Nicolette, you can grind your own flours, but you will likely need to adjust the liquids in the recipe. I made the millet banana bread and ground my own millet flour and needed to increase the liquids. She provides the brand names of her ingredients in the book b/c she has found that even different brands of the same ingredient yield different results. Tapioca starch is also known as tapioca flour. I use Bob's Red Mill, which is in all of my local grocery stores and health food stores. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for your help! I'll have to give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that different brands yield different results. I've never ground quinoa - I'm sure it would be much cheaper. It's about $8 or $9 for 20 - 22 ounces. I bought Ancient Harvest and that worked well. I have a bag of Bob's Red Mill in the pantry that I'm going to use when that runs out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Part 2 - Thanks so much for linking up and sharing about my give-away. I also love that some of the participants are finding your blog. Phoebe is a good friend of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these looks super simple and very tasty, I'll have to try them out. I adore quinoa flour! I just stumbled upon oyour blog, it is great! I keep a blog too, so I'm surprised I hadn't found yours yet - you might like it, all GF, allergy-friendly, I have multiple food allergies and sensitivities but really really like to cook. I look forward to following your blog!
    -Kim // affairsofliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely going to try this recipe. My entire family of 6 just finished an elimination diet, and I am overwhelmed with the results, trying not to be discouraged. But we want to feel better, so I'll be looking into some of these books. Thanks so much for sharing your story, it gives me hope that my family can feel better and still "have a life" too.

    ReplyDelete