Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Recipe: Roasted Garlic & Eggplant Dip

I've been re-reading Breaking the Vicious Cycle and gearing up to take more of my diet cues from the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) articulated in the book. I'm at the point where I've successfully killed the yeast overgrowth and kicked sugar to the curb. I've eliminated and challenged many potentially problematic foods and have learned a lot. I know that I feel better when I eat less grains and starchy foods in general. I'm thinking that, because I had candida running ramped, there also might be other things out of balance. So, I'm going to be making some more changes.

One thing I eat a lot of is hummus - it helps me to get my raw veggies in. The main ingredient in hummus is chick peas, which are not on the SCD list. A great alternative is this Roasted Garlic & Eggplant Dip:

Ingredients:
6 - 8 cloves of garlic
1 medium eggplant, cubed
2 T + 2t olive oil
1/2 t pepper
salt to taste

Directions:
  1. Place the garlic cloves in a pouch made out of tin foil. Drizzle the 2 t of olive oil all over and sprinkle with salt. Roast at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until the garlic is lightly browned and soft. I like to do this in my toaster oven - it uses less energy and won't heat up the kitchen!
  2. While the garlic is roasting, cube the eggplant and place in a food processor with the remaining 2T olive oil, the pepper, salt, and the roasted garlic. Puree until smooth.
  3. Serve chilled or at room temperature with veggies, crackers, flat bread, etc.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment