Anytime Veggie Fritters
1 medium cauliflower
3 large zucchinis, grated
2 small onions, diced
3 cloves of garlic
2 eggs, beaten
salt & pepper to taste
- Chop up the cauliflower and steam it until tender.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, grate the zucchini either by hand or using the grating blade on your food processor. Put it in a bowl, add salt and set aside for 10 minutes to get the water out.
- Now dice the onions and brown them in a bit of oil.
- When the cauliflower is done, mash it up using a potato masher. Salt it and set aside for 10 minutes to get the water out.
- Put the zucchini into a tea towel and squeeze all the water out. Add it to a mixing bowl.
- Do the same with the cauliflower.
- Heat a skillet with enough oil to cover the bottom.
- Add the cooked onions, beaten eggs, salt, and pepper into the mixing bowl with the zuc and cauli and thoroughly combine (your hands will work best).
- Drop by spoonfuls into the hot oil and lightly pat them with the back of the spoon.
- Cook for about 5 min on the first side - they will be golden and hold together. Flip and cook for another 3 min or so. (Ours got a bit dark b/c we did them outside on our grill burner - it was too hot last night to cook inside!).
- Top with apple sauce
- Serve with bacon or sausage at breakfast time!
- Add some spices to the mixture (maybe some curry and turmeric for an Indian flavor, or basil and oregano for Italian)
- Top with thinly sliced chicken, pork, or beef
- Put a dollop of chutney or salsa on them
- Substitute some grated carrot for some of the zucchini
- Use as a side dish at dinner (we had ours with grilled rib eye steak and grilled veggies)