Thursday, April 9, 2009

It's Easter time (even on the elmination diet)!

Here are some food allergy friendly options in keeping with Easter traditions:

For dairy, peanut, tree nut, gluten, and egg free candies, try Amanda's Own. They do special things for each holiday.

If you can have eggs or dairy but not nuts, try Vermont Nut-Free Chocolate.

Instead of decorating real eggs, paint, decoupage or bead wooden eggs available at craft stores or online. Plastic eggs can also be decorated using stickers, ribbons and permanent markers.

Fill baskets with small toys, cars, dolls, crayons or mini stuffed animals, instead of putting the focus on food.

Organize an Easter egg hunt using plastic eggs. Fill them with coins or stickers or even coupons for activities such as roller skating or movies, instead of candy.

Kids With Food Allergies has created an eight-page booklet filled with ideas and tips for celebrating Easter safely with your food allergic children. There are some terrific looking recipes in there.

Of course, being that I am on day 6 of the elimination diet (and beginning to feel just wonderful!), my Easter will look a bit different - just a few minor adjustments:

We are going to my parents' house for brunch. I will be making the frittata filled with yummy things allowed on elimination (onions, sauteed spinach, roasted red peppers, fresh herbs, and a tiny bit of potato). I will also have some of my homemade sausage (see my blog a few days ago for the recipe).

At 2PM, we will be going to my inlaws' for dinner. Here, I will have the roasted turkey, some turnip, a little bit of sweet potato, and any veggies.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment