Monday, April 6, 2009

Elimination Diet - Day 3: Homemade Sausage

I'm doing an elimination diet again. Why? Because, although I know many of the foods that don't make me feel good, I believe I still have more to learn. While it's true that this is not a fun process, the information you can gain about how your body works, what gives you trouble, and what causes your symptoms is immeasurable. It's certainly much easier with someone in your corner that understands food issues and can get you through any cravings!

Last time I did an elimination diet, I discovered that my symptoms (sinusitis, itching red skin, fatigue, moodiness, digestive problems, and vaginitis) were mainly caused by a sensitivity to sugar, moldy foods like peanuts & tree nuts, and cherries. I didn't finish challenging every potentially troublesome food because I was feeling great, and it was starting to be a busy time in my life (getting married, two vacations...). Alas, I'm not feeling as great as I was, so it's time to continue.

I'm finding it to be much easier this time. It's not taking much effort to come up with menus to suit my needs (I'm on the go with work often) and still feed my husband. I can eat out without a ton of thought.

I'm looking forward to the challenge phase and will keep you posted as to how its going. For now, here's one of my staples for the elimination diet (actually, I make these all the time b/c they are so yummy - my family even requests them!): Homemade Sausage!

Ingredients (For a double batch - they freeze really well):
2 packages ground turkey
3 T fennel seed (adjust to your taste)
3 T flax seed (I use milled) - optional
3 T olive oil + more for the pan
2 T salt
1 T pepper
1 C diced & sauteed veggies (I use onions & red pepper, or sometimes I use the pulp from juicing veggies)

Heat up a fry pan w/ some oil. Combine all ingredients together - using your hands is the best way. For some reason, adding the veggies in warm helps the mixture to stick together. Form patties and cook on both sides until done all the way through - about 5 min on each side.

This makes about 18 - 20 patties. I wrap 'em up in foil, put them in a plastic zip bag, and freeze them. I take them out as I need them and just heat them up. They are great for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks...and they are so yummy!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment