Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Corn Bread - Straight Up & As A Stuffing

I'm 9 days into the rotation diet. Up until today, I was managing ok - pretty good actually, with minimal whining. I've been getting creative - making yogurt out of goat milk, making buckwheat pancakes without eggs, enjoying teff chocolate pudding and amaranth banana bread... I've even been out to eat twice without much planning time and managed just fine, to my surprise. ...and my husband has not felt too inconvenienced, which is a bonus.

But today, I don't feel well. Everything I had planned to eat today is making my stomach turn just at the thought. It's one of those things where I don't want to eat, but I'm feeling so weak that I need to have something. So, I resorted to toast - a kind that is off the rotation plan. I'm thinking that I will get right back on the rotation horse as soon as I can. Right now, I just need some plain calories so that I don't faint or puke (sorry!)...

A good day to answer some requests I've had for a gluten free cornbread recipe. In my family, we grew up eating homemade cornbread every Saturday. When four of us discovered we could not tolerate gluten, my mom adapted her recipe for us! This past Saturday, I asked her if she was making a batch and she said "yes!" I ran right over to take a picture (and grab some for my freezer for when it fits into my rotation schedule).

Mom's Saturday Cornbread

Ingredients
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 C oil
  • 1 C milk- whichever you can tolerate
  • 1/4 honey or sugar, or 2 T agave
  • 1 C GF flour mix (preferably a kind without bean flour in it)
  • 1 C yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 T baking powder
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9X9 baking sheet.
  2. Mix together first 4 ingredients.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together last 4 dry ingredients.
  4. Add the wet into the dry and combine, but not too much.
  5. Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes or until it's slightly golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
This goes great with chili! Or make it into a stuffing...


Ingredients

  • about 2/3 of the above cornbread recipe, cubed
  • 2 C chopped and peeled apples
  • 1 C diced carrots
  • ¾ C diced onions
  • ½ C diced celery
  • ½ C chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
  • 1/4 C dried cranberries (optional)
  • ½ t ground nutmeg
  • 2 t salt
  • 1 t pepper
  • ½ C butter or oil
  • 1 C GF chicken stock

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 300.
  2. Spread cornbread cubes on a cookie sheet and bake 10 – 15 min or until dry.
  3. In a skillet, place the butter or oil along with the carrots, onions, and celery. Cook until beginning to turn translucent.
  4. Add the nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Turn off heat.
  5. In a large bowl, combine the bread, veggies, apples and nuts.
  6. Pour mixture into a baking pan and pour chicken stock all over. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment