Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Watermelon Gazpacho

I cannot believe that it is September already and the whole summer went by without me making Watermelon Gazpacho! This is a recipe that I cannot take credit for - it is from The Food Network's cutest chef, Tyler Florence. My husband and I are big Food Network fans (we are very excited for Amy from Simply Gluten and Sugar Free to be a part of the Build A Better Burger Contest!). I have my favorite chef eye candy (Tyler) and he has his (Giada - who can blame him?).

I have made Tyler's Gazpacho for company to rave reviews. It is very easy, totally raw if you omit the optional feta cheese, and delicious! It hits all the right notes - slightly spicy, a little sweet, a bit salty, totally refreshing with a slight crunch from all the veggies, but smooth at the same time. I made a double batch today to make up for missing out the whole summer...

Tyler's Watermelon Gazpacho (with just a few changes of my own)

Ingredients
  • 1 large tomato, cut into chunks
  • 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and cut into quarters
  • 2 cups cubed fresh watermelon
  • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons minced red onion
  • 1/2 cucumber, seeded and cut into 1 inch slices
  • 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (basil, sage, or dill work well)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
Directions
  1. In a blender, puree the tomatoes, jalapeno, and the watermelon.
  2. Pour in the red wine vinegar and olive oil and pulse.
  3. Add the onion, cucumber and dill and season with salt and pepper. Puree until mostly smooth.
  4. Pour into chilled bowls and sprinkle with feta, if desired.
It's Wednesday, so if you are in need of some meal ideas, be sure to check out What Can I Eat That is Gluten Free? over at the Gluten Free Homemaker. Even if you are not gluten free, there are some delicious recipes being shared!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Cute post. :-) Love that you mentioned Amy's success. So exciting! I'd really like some of that gazpacho. Maybe I'll whip some up for our meeting next week BEFORE we do out green smoothie demo. LOL

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete