As a side note, Lisa from Lisa Cooks Allergen Free met Rachel Ray recently and took the opportunity to ask her to feature allergy-friendly recipes. I think she got Rachel thinking - maybe there will be a whole new set of books and shows dedicated to great-tasting meals free from the top 8 common food allergens!
Stuffed Cabbage Soup (from Rachel Ray w/ just a few changes by me)
- 1 C uncooked rice (optional)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1.5 lb. of ground meet (we like a combo of turkey or beef with pork)
- 1 T salt
- 2 t pepper
- 1 T coriander
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 2 t allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots made into ribbons using a peeler
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 large head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 qt of chicken broth
- 1 -15 oz can of tomato sauce
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- If using the rice, cook it according to package directions. I like to first heat a bit of olive oil in the pan and add the uncooked rice to it to toast it a bit, then add some salt and cook away!
- In a soup pot or dutch oven, heat 2 T olive oil. When it's hot, add the ground meat to brown it.
- Once the meat has a bit of color, season it with the salt, pepper, bay leaf, coriander, allspice, and smoked paprika.
- After a couple of minutes, add the onions, garlic, and carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage an allow it to wilt a bit.
- Add the stock, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Cover and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
- If using the rice, add it to the pot once it's cooked (or you can leave it out of the soup and just put a scoop into a bowl and pour the soup over it).
- Adjust the salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley.