Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Recipe: Quinoa Salad with a Kick

Yet another recipe I tried out on my family at my nephew's backyard graduation party (I love introducing people to ingredients that they haven't used before). Quinoa Salad with a Kick was a big hit! The colors make a nice presentation.

Since figuring out that rice and I are not as good of friends as I had thought, quinoa has been my grain of choice. Nutritionally, it packs quite a punch - all by itself, it has 5g of fiber and 8g of protein per serving. ...and it's totally yummy! Give this version a try - with the smokey Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce * (which you can find right near the salsa at your supermarket), this makes a great side dish at summer BBQ's. ...or take it camping! It doesn't have any mayo, so it won't spoil easily.

Ingredients (serves 8-10):

1 twelve oz box of Quinoa
2-3 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, finely chopped + 2 T of the adobo sauce (remove the seeds for less kick) *
1 T salt
2 t pepper
4 t olive oil
1/2 c scallions, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 tomato, diced

Cook quinoa according to directions on the package. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. As soon as the quinoa is done, transfer it to the large bowl and mix it all together (doing this while it's hot makes the quinoa take on more of the flavor). Let cool. Serve room temperature or chilled.

Enjoy!

* Be sure to read the label on the chipotle in adobo can. Some brands contain wheat. Or make your own! Take 7 or so dried chipotle chiles. Remove the stems and slit lengthwise. Add them to a pan with 3 C water, 1/3 C diced onion, 5 T vinegar, 3 cloves of garlic (crushed), 1/2 t salt, 1/2 t pepper, and 1/4 C ketchup (for one that does not contain sugar, I like Wholemato Agave Ketchup). Cover and simmer on low for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the mixture has reduced to 1 C.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good recipe. Love those chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I have found though, that some brands contain wheat in the sauce, so it's good to point that out. Same with enchilada sauce, I find too. Some enchilada sauces use wheat to thicken up the sauce, while others don't.

    Ole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any chipotle in adobo that contains wheat...such an unnecessary ingredient! Yes, always read labels. I have seen some with soy, sugar, and other fillers. I haven't had good luck with finding a safe enchilada sauce, so I make my own. Maybe I'll put that recipe in an upcoming post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious. In reference to the enchilada sauce. I don't even use it when making enchiladas! Normally, I top them with a fruity salsa, chili peppers, and cheese and call it a day. It always brings rave reviews and is super simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim--Love this post and your recipe! I joke that I lead a support group just so I can try out all my recipes/ideas on willing guinea pigs. ;-) (So far, nobody has complained. LOL) I made a quinoa taboulleh a while back that turned out great. This recipe looks similar, but with a kick as you say. Yum. BTW, that bowl look like one I use that belonged to my grandmother. Lovely.

    Thanks so much for participating in GAHIGF this month! Always a fun time and great way to get new recipes. :-) I look forward to you hosting next month. If any of your readers want to participate in the Make Me A Happy Camper theme (think picnic, hike, camp), there's still some time left, but hurry. ;-) Read more here: http://glutenfreeeasily.com/july-go-ahead-honey-its-gluten-free/

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never actually had quinoa salad before - I keep seeing it in the deli counter at one of the health food stores near my house. Maybe I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete