Thursday, July 9, 2009

Recipe from the Coconut Files: Pancakes!

Light, fluffy, and totally delicious! A warning - they seem to burn easily. Watch them carefully and you will be rewarded! Also, because they are quite delicate, I didn't have good luck with adding fruit to them. I tried pineapple (I was inspired by something I saw on the Food Network for pineapple upside down pancakes), but I didn't cut it up enough. I think you'd be better off using those tiny wild blueberries or shredded apple. Better yet, puree the fruit and pour over the top!

Ingredients (makes about 5-6 small pancakes):

2 eggs, beaten
2 T oil
2 T milk substitute (I used Hempmilk)
1 t agave
¼ t salt
2 T + 2 t Coconut Flour
¼ t baking powder

Directions:

Blend together eggs, oil, whichever milk you are using, agave, and salt. Combine coconut flour with baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter. Heat 1 T of oil or DF margarine in a skillet. Spoon batter onto hot skillet making pancakes about 2 ½ to 3 inches in diameter.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I have a coconut flour question...I've read many recipes using it lately. I'm not a big coconut fan so how much coconut flavor does it impart? I know it's a very healthy choice and have been considering it mixed with some other flours. Any advice? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    When I use coconut milk for things like ice pops, smoothies, and ice cream, there is a BIG coconut taste. When I use the flour, there is more of a hint of coconut flavor, but it's still noticeable. I find that, when also adding strong flavors like cocoa powder and whole vanilla bean to the batter, that seems to squash the coconut flavor for the most part. Extracts alone don't seem to do the trick. Hope that's helpful! Let me know which recipes you try!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete