Please forgive the lack of pictures. My husband used the camera and changed the settings, so my pictures are not coming out clear. I can't figure out how to undo it, so the pictures will have to wait until later.Ingredients (makes about 6 C)
- 1 lb mixed dried fruit
- 1 bottle (750 ml or 3.5 C) dry white wine
- 1 C brandy
- 2 C sugar
- Place fruit in a glass, ceramic, or stainless steal container. Stir in wine, brandy, and sugar until well blended. Cover tightly and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 week to allow flavors to develop. Stir occasionally for the first few days to dissolve sugar.
- To give, pack in small jars. On the gift tag, note that the liquor is for sipping; or the cordial is delicious poured over ice cream or pound cake. After about 6 weeks, the fruit should be removed or it may become too soft. The cordial alone keeps indefinitely.
This year, we will be gifting homemade vanilla extract. It's so easy and makes a great gift for the bakers in your life!
- 5 vanilla beans (look for good quality beans online - you'll get a great price)
- 1 750 ml bottle of vodka
- Split beans in half.
- Pour a small amount of the vodka out of the bottle.
- Fit all beans into the bottle.
- Shake every couple of weeks. In about 2 months, it's ready for prime time!
I will be pouring the extract into pretty, small bottles decorated with ribbon. I will put 1/2 bean in each bottle and add vodka to make sure each one is full. The tag will say that, as you use the extract, just add more vodka and it will regenerate! Cool, huh?