Friday, May 29, 2009

Hemp: A replacement for common food allergens?

I'm all about the hemp lately...I have been eating Hemp Seed (also called hemp hearts) for weeks now, and I made the switch to Unsweetened Hemp Bliss Hemp milk.

I couldn't ignore the nutritional facts. Hemp is an
easily digestible, gluten-free protein. It has an overall protein content of 34.6 g/100 g, with a low carbohydrate content. Of the shelled hemp seed carbohydrate, 6% is in the form of fiber. The fiber content of hemp seed flour is 40%, which is the highest of all commercial flour grains. In addition to containing the basic human nutrient groups, hemp foods have a high content of antioxidants (92.1 mg/100g). The high content of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids make hemp foods beneficial to cardiovascular health (the chart above compares hemp milk to soy, rice, and almond alternatives - click on it to see a clearer image). Additionally, hemp seed contains a wide variety of other vitamins and minerals.

The most basic hemp seed product is the shelled seed. The other major hemp food products are hemp seed butter, which resembles peanut and other nut butters, and cold-pressed hemp seed oil, hemp seed flour and hemp protein powder. In their natural state, hemp foods do not contain any peanuts, milk, wheat, soy, fish & seafood (including crustaceans), eggs, tree nuts, sesame seeds or sulphites (always check the label just to make sure - every manufacturer is different).

My verdict is that I love hemp milk! It tastes great and is quite creamy. Also, I'm finding the hemp hearts to be a welcome addition to many of my recipes (soups, chili, homemade sausage, sprinkled on cereal, alternative crust for meat/fish)...most days, I just sprinkle them on my yogurt. They add a nutty taste that I've been missing. Also, I have noticed an improvement in my digestive health, which is always welcomed! Hemp products seem to be a perfect replacement for common allergens. I can't wait to try hemp butter...

No comments:

Post a Comment