Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Elimination Diet Day 33 - My Special Granola Recipe

So it's day 33 and I'm seeing the beginnings of my digestive track getting well - I removed avocado from my diet and added hemp hearts, which are said to be a miracle food. After I've had more time trying these little wonders, I will give you a full review in a future blog. For now, though, I'm loving my new elimination diet-friendly, free from many common food allergens Special Granola:

3 C quinoa FLAKES (usually come in a box and not sold in bulk)
3 C puffed Millet cereal (I like Nature's Path brand - it contains no sugar)
1 C raw sunflower seeds
1 C raw pumpkin seeds
1 C unsweetened flaked coconut
1/4 C agave nectar
1/4 C canola oil
1/2 t salt

Heat oven to 225. Grease a large roasting pan w/ some oil. Place the first 5 ingredients in the pan and toss around. Pour agave nectar and canola oil all over. Add salt and mix around. Bake at 225 for 2 hours - stir a few times during the cooking process. Turn oven off and let the granola cool down and dry out. Store in air tight containers.

Ways to change this up according to your needs & tastes:
* use puffed rice cereal in place of the quinoa and/or the millet puffs
* roasted soy beans/soy nuts can be used in place of all or some of the seeds
* if you can eat nuts, use those instead of all or some of the seeds
* add some grated orange peel for more flavor
* sprinkle on some cinnamon
* when I'm not doing elimination anymore (in the Maintenance Phase), I will add some dried fruit after the 2 hours of baking

It's great as a cereal or a snack on the go!

No comments:

Post a Comment